Astaxanthin is an antioxidant that the whole world seems to be excited about. So what exactly is it and why exactly is it being spoken to highly of?
By Astaxanthin now- Haematococcus, a type of microalgae, produces this red colored phytonutrient called Astaxanthin. The health benefits of Astaxanthin mostly have to do with its amazing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. When it comes to purity and potency, the naturally produced forms of this antioxidant have more benefits than the synthetic versions. Since it is a potent antioxidant, this supplement can be used to treat neurodegenerative diseases, immune problems and even cardiovascular disorders.
This antioxidant happens to be one of the few ingredients that can cross the blood/brain barrier to enter cells. Astaxanthin can help because the central nervous system happens to be highly susceptible to damage from free radicals. When inside cells, astaxanthin’s antioxidant properties can help improve function in different ways. This nutrient even helps protect cells from neuron damage so the body is at lower risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s and dementia type diseases. Even the eyes will be safer from macular degeneration and cataracts because this ingredient can cross the blood retina barrier.
Read more on the benefits of Astaxanthin- Other researched key benefits include;
* Reduces inflammation and joint pain in individuals
* A high antioxidant concentration makes this an anti-ageing product
* Astaxanthin helps with heart disease prevention because it helps lower inflammation
* Memory can be enhanced and cognitive function can be improved
* On the cellular level, it reduces oxidative damage
* When workout performance is what matters, this ingredient can greatly increase endurance and workout performance while helping with muscle recovery
* Thanks to its high antioxidant levels, astaxanthin can reduce cancer risk
* It can help with carpal tunnel syndrome
* It boosts immune function and helps the body fight infection
* The stomach is protected from ulcers and invasive bacteria this way
* In men, it improves sperm quality, motility, and sperm count.
* Protects the eyes from UV damage
* This potent UVB absorber reduces damage to DNA from sun exposure
* Post workout, muscles sometime retain lactic acid and this ingredient reduces this lactic acid build-up.
Astaxanthin is a fat-soluble carotenoid, so the best way to make sure it gets to all your cells, tissues and organs is to take it with some healthy fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, avocados, chia seeds, flaxseed oil or fish oils. Take astaxanthin with fat-soluble carotenoid!